Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Life is for Living

This is what happened-->

Around mid-December, I decided that I wanted to go full-out on healthy eating and exercise (running, spinning, lifting, and core work).  I was already doing the exercise part, but figured that tweaking my diet would give me the "cut" look that I'd been working toward.

I cut out Diet Coke, did a 14 day cleanse, and continued my schedule of running and working out.  I cut out extra bread, cut out refined sugar, and didn't eat any fried foods (which I don't normally eat anyway).  Geno was on this plan as well.

Over the three month time span, I lost about 4 pounds.  I went from 121.5 to 117.5.  My weight fluctuated   between those numbers throughout the 3 months.  Even though loss numbers weren't huge, I felt a little leaner and toned up some.

The thing is--> Geno and I were not happy with this lifestyle change.  We didn't have any special treats at Christmas, we ate "lite" for the Super Bowl.  I didn't even have a piece of cake on my birthday.

Did it feel great to be in total control of my diet?  YES!

Did it feel great to fit into my skinniest pair of skinny jeans?  YES!

BUT--The fact is, we were unhappy with this deprivation.  And deprivation is what it was.

We had some pretty deep text messages and conversations over the last few days, and we decided that we were not seeing enough benefits to this new lifestyle to outweigh the anxiety and deprivation that went along with it.

It's not like we are going to go wild and crazy and eat everything in sight, but I'm no longer going to eat like an Ethiopian Elite athlete when I'm an 41 year old average runner.  Geno and I are both "foodies," and this restricted diet just wasn't working for us!  Life is for living!

Yesterday after work, I stopped by the store and bought the ingredients we needed for M&M cookies and a 12 pack of Diet Coke.


The cookies were fabulous and the Diet Coke was okay.  I'm predicting that the 12 pack will last at least two weeks or more--it's just for emergency purposes for when we really want one--not for guzzling throughout the day like I used to do.

I worried that I would feel like a quitter or a failure when I took that first sip of Diet Coke and ate that first cookie...But what I realized is that being VERY restrictive is just as UNHEALTHY as eating too much.

A healthy lifestyle is about balance...and that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Work in progress.....

8 comments:

  1. Oh, those cookies sound SOOO good. :) Balance is so hard for me! I think letting yourself have some "treats" is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you! You can still be healthy and indulge here and there... I wouldn't worry at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely is about balance. The all or nothing attitude is just to hard to maintain...happily anyways! I think it's good you did it though because it creates a habit and then now you can add it little treats and not totally go off the rails. Yeah for fitting into your skinny skinny jeans again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right - it's all about balance. I try to stick to a 60/40 plan of 60% super healthy eating and 40% of whatever I want. Keeping yourself to a restricted diet is really tough and stressful from all that planning. No shame in a little indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not a quitter!!!! I just took full reigns on a healthier lifestyle (upping workouts, no soda, no bread, etc) on Sunday and I can already feel the benefits. I'm loosely following the Whole 30, simply to get my habits back in order, and I plan on practicing 80/20 once this month is over. We're all human and we all enjoy a treat once in a while. I can promise you that those cookies and pop aren't going to completely reverse all of the hard work you've put in over the past three months. I hope that you enjoyed it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not a quitter!!!! I just took full reigns on a healthier lifestyle (upping workouts, no soda, no bread, etc) on Sunday and I can already feel the benefits. I'm loosely following the Whole 30, simply to get my habits back in order, and I plan on practicing 80/20 once this month is over. We're all human and we all enjoy a treat once in a while. I can promise you that those cookies and pop aren't going to completely reverse all of the hard work you've put in over the past three months. I hope that you enjoyed it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! It's all about balance. Depraving yourself doesn't do any good; just like the title of your post says, life is for living! I haven't had a sip of soda in year--probably since high school--but I don't miss it AT ALL. I actually only drink 3 things: water, coffee and wine. But I have my vices too. I'd eat bread and cheese all day long if it didn't make me feel so sluggish! I'm glad you've been able to find some balance! :)

    xo Megan, Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES to balance!! I love this. We eat very healthy as well but also let ourselves splurge every once in a while and you know, it doesn't destroy you completely and it's a fun goal to work towards.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcome! :)